Win a Hawker Hurricane MkI!
We are giving you the chance to win this fantastic Hawker Hurricane MkI R4118, 605 (County of Warick) Sqn Wing Commander Bob Foster, Croydon, 1940! (AA32020)
Hawker Hurricane MkI, R4118, was delivered new to 605 (County of Warwick) Squadron on 17th August 1940. Bob Foster was posted to 605 Sqn during the Battle of Britain, flying Hurricanes throughout with much success. He flew several missions in Hurricane R4118 and it was in this aircraft that he damaged two Ju88s and shared in the destruction of a third. He finished the war with 7 confirmed victories and three probables.
R4118 flew a total of 49 combat sorties during the Battle of Britain, with five enemy aircraft destroyed, before itself being shot down and damaged in October 1940. In December 1943 it was sent to India as a training aircraft but remained crated there until 1947 when it was struck off charge.
It was then donated to a university for engineering instruction and remained there gradually decaying until, in 2001, it returned to the UK and was restored to full flying condition. As the only Hurricane from the Battle of Britain still flying, R4118 is regarded as the most historic British WWII aircraft to survive in flying condition. In 2005 there was a historic event as Wing Commander Bob Foster DFC and Hurricane R4118 were re-united for the first time in 65 years at the Biggin Hill Airshow in Kent.
Congratulations to our lucky winner Henry Stitt from Rotherfield!
How many combat sorties did R4118 fly during the Battle of Britain?
- A. 51
- B. 50
- C. 49
- Closing date for entries is 11.59pm GMT on 9th September 2012, any entries received after the closing date will not be accepted.
- The Promoter takes no responsibility for entries which are not received.
- The prize promotion is open to those aged 18 years and over.
- The prize promotion is not open to employees of Hornby plc or of any subsidiary or associated company of Hornby plc or to employees family members.
- Any entries submitted by agents or third parties will be invalid and will not be accepted by the Promoter.
- There is one prize as described above. The Promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize for one of equal or greater value at any time.
- The winner will be chosen at random from the correct answers only.
- Only one entry per household/person. Any additional entries will not be entered.
- The prize is not transferable and there is no cash alternative.
- All winners will be informed. Losing entries will not receive any notification.
- The winner will be contacted within seven days of the closing date using the contact details provided. If the winner cannot be contacted the prize will be forfeited.
- Prizes will be sent within 4 weeks of the competition ending.
- The name and town of residence of the winner will be displayed on the Corgi website.
- By entering this competition, you are consenting to allow your name and town of residence to be displayed on the Corgi website.
- The decision of the Promoter is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the outcome of the prize promotion.
- The Promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the terms of this prize promotion at anytime without prior notice. Any changes will be posted within the rules on the site.
- Entry constitutes acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- The competition and the terms and conditions of this agreement will be governed by English law and shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales Promoter: Hornby Hobbies Ltd, Westwood, Margate, Kent, CT9 4JX.
- Please retain these terms and conditions for future reference.