ROE Trolleybus Doncaster - Wheatley Hills
Product Code: OM41414B
In 1926 Doncaster Corporation obtained powers to operate trolleybuses over all but one of its existing tram routes. Built by Garrett and Karrier-Clough, the first trolleybuses entered service in 1928. These 3-axle double-deckers, supplemented by further purchases of Karrier E6s had replaced the trams on all routes except the Brodsworth route by 1931. During the Second World War, the first 2-axle trolleybuses, Karrier Ws with utility bodywork were purchased.
By the early 1950s motorbus replacement was being considered, but new general manager, Thomas Bamford, bought some second hand trolleybuses for the fleet. Eight of the wartime vehicles were modernised, having their bodies replaced with new ones built by Charles Roe Ltd. Further second hand purchases were similarly treated. However, from 1956 onwards, the process of closing the trolleybus routes began. The gradual demise of the system ended with the final trolleybus working to Beckett Road on the evening of the 14th December 1963. The vehicle, number 375, was saved for preservation and now resides at the Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft.
This is a dual destination model:
OM41414B ROE Trolleybus Doncaster - Doncaster
- Scale: 1:76
A detailed die-cast scale model for the adult collector. Not suitable for children under 14 years.