Fowler Showman's, 'Iron Maiden', No. 15657, 1920
Product Code: CC20114
Built in 1920 by Fowler & Co. this engine was first used as a Road Locomotive by F. Barnes of Portland, Dorset for hauling stone from the quarries down to Portland Harbour. In 1923 Dorset County Council passed a law requiring steel wheeled vehicles be fitted with rubber tyres, so the engine was sold to Mrs H. Oadley of Derbyshire who sent the engine back to Fowler & Co’s workshop for a complete overhaul to Showmans specification. Once complete the engine re-emerged with the name ‘Kitchener’.
In 1952 it was sold to Harry Hollingworth of West Riding for preservation and was purchased in 1955 by the Bedford Steam Engine Preservation Society’s (B.S.E.P.S) founder and President, John Crawley. The engine appeared as the star of the 1962 British comedy film ‘The Iron Maiden’ and was aptly re-named once more as the ‘Iron Maiden’. It featured at many rallies throughout the country for over 20 years with W.G Hawkins of Tedinnick, Cornwall. In 1991 the engine was bought by Dr Tony Marchington who undertook significant restoration and repair works including a new fire box, boiler, smoke box, tubes, tender and rear axle. An avid steam collector, Dr Marchington also owned The Flying Scotsman locomotive in the 1980s and 1990s. The Iron Maiden now resides in the ‘Scarborough Fair Collection’ museum, built and owned by Graham Atkinson.
- Scale: 1:50
- Length: 133mm
- Age Suitability: 14+
A detailed die-cast scale model for the adult collector. Not suitable for children under 14 years.