Austin Mini Cooper S Durham Constabulary
FREE UK Delivery when you spend over £30.
Please allow up to 3 working days for UK delivery following the day you placed your order.
* Club membership packages do not count towards free delivery thresholds
Europe - 3-5 days
Rest of World - 5-10 days
We also offer FREE delivery to selected international destinations
The Cooper S modelled was a Durham Constabulary Traffic Car and was usually operated by a female crew of two. It was one of several Mini Cooper S vehicles on their fleet, as period photographs prove, but the car itself no longer exists. Mini Coopers were popular traffic cars in the North East as their size and spritely performance made them very agile in both the urban and countryside topography that makes up County Durham. Their front-wheel-drive configuration also provided good traction in harsh winter conditions on the North East's hills. They were rarely used for dual carriageway or motorway work though as Durham Traffic Police used more powerful Jaguar Mk2s in this role.
The Mini Cooper's potential as a police car was obvious immediately the 997cc model was introduced in 1961. However, it really came into its own in February 1964 when the 1275cc Cooper S version arrived. Its greater engine capacity meant extra torque so less performance was sacrificed when the vehicle was carrying the weight and aerodynamic penalties police traffic patrol cars incur when fully equipped. It became a popular vehicle in this role with police forces all over the UK, especially those in the North, and was used in a basically standard form except for the fitment of an alternator to handle the Police vehicles greater electrical load and often, but not in this car, motorsport derived twin fuel tanks to give greater range.
- Engine: 1275cc 4-IL OHV
- Power: 76bhp@5800rpm
- Torque: 79lb.ft@3000rpm
- Max speed: 97mph
- 0-60mph: 10.9secs
- Weight: 1440lbs
The MINI logo and the MINI wordmark are trademarks of BMW AG and are used under license.
A series of die-cast 1:43 scale model automobiles spanning half a century of motoring in Britain. Each model carries a detailed, authentic livery and comes complete with a certificate detailing the history of the vehicle. View the full range
A detailed die-cast scale model for adult collector. Not Suitable for children under 14 years.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
|Limited Edition Size||1,000|
Product Questions & Answers Sign in or register to ask a question
Do you have a question about this product that other customers may be able to answer? Simply log in to the website and ask - other customers can then offer their help and answers.
Questions submitted should be aimed at other collectors, especially those that have previously purchased the model. The Q&A feature is not designed for contacting Customer Care or addressing Hornby Hobbies directly. If you do have a question for us, please do still contact us but use the Contact Us page instead.
Submissions that violate these rules (and the Guidelines) will be declined.
Please read the questions & answers guidelines before asking or answering a question.
- Once submitted, questions and answers should appear on the website within 72 hours, however, we will endeavour to approve both questions and answers as soon as possible.
- Please keep questions relevant and related to the product you’re asking it on. General questions can be asked on our Forum or sent straight to Customer Services
- Remember to keep questions and answers short and concise. Longer questions and answers are less likely to be read.
- Be sure to vote on answers you find either helpful or unhelpful. These votes are vital to getting the most helpful answers to other collectors.
- Please refrain from asking questions involving other manufacturers. For example, asking if something is better or worse than a competitor’s product is not permitted.
- Do not include personal information (email addresses or telephone numbers) in any question or answer.
- Any questions or answers that contain profanities, distasteful language or promotional material will not be approved. This also applies to Nicknames.
Ask A Question
Answer This Question
Me ma me ma me ma!
A nice model despite the long wait. Just gets the 5 star and does have ALL window surrounds in silver. Only black mark is the old style headlights in just a plain chrome effect disc as per the Irene Austin mini.Price hike does mean free postage.
Sorry, you can not vote for this review. Please log in