Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress 44-6009 ‘Flak Eater’, 364th BS/305th BG USAAF 8th Air Force, August 1944.
c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a pre-order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my pre-order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product, please note that this date can change due to changes in manufacturing and shipping schedules. These dates are updated monthly, keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders for the latest estimated arrival date. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed.
What happens if the price of my item changes while on pre-order? If the price of your pre-order item changes after you have placed your order, we will only ever charge you the lowest price between time of ordering and when the item comes into stock and is despatched to you. For example, if you pre-order an item and the price is subsequently increased, you will still be charged the original price. However, if you pre-order an item and the price is subsequently decreased, you will be charged the lower price.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged when the items are in-stock and ready to be despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my pre-order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 01843 233525 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Can I pay by PayPal for a pre-order? Yes you can.
- How many items can I pre-order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- How do delivery charges apply to pre-orders? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock and will therefore incur delivery charges where applicable. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my pre-order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my pre-order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take pre-orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our pre-orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your pre-order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a £10 gift voucher to spend on the website.
- Can I make a pre-order by post or telephone? Yes you can, but payment must be with a credit/debit card. Please call our Customer Care team on 01843 233525 or email@example.com
- Can I use a Club or discount code on pre-orders? Yes you can.
FREE UK Delivery when you spend over £30.
Please allow up to 3 working days for UK delivery following the day you placed your order.
* Club membership packages do not count towards free delivery thresholds
Europe - 3-5 days
Rest of World - 5-10 days
We also offer FREE delivery to selected international destinations
From the perspective of a Luftwaffe fighter pilot, the sight of hundreds of American Flying Fortresses in formation and heading towards them must have been magnificent and terrifying in equal measure. As the Allies pressed home their increasing aerial supremacy throughout 1944, not only would the Luftwaffe have to contend with a wall of defensive fire from the tightly packed bomber formations, they also knew that their protective fighter cover would be on them both before and after they made their almost suicidal attack run. The latest and definitive ‘G’ variant of the B-17 introduced the electrically operated Bendix chin turret, which had been developed to combat the frontal attacks preferred by Luftwaffe fighter pilots against earlier models and further increased the defensive firepower of these heavily armed bombers. Chelveston based B-17G ‘Flak Eater’ of the USAAF 364th Bombardment Squadron certainly wanted any attacking fighter to know that she was equipped with the new nose armament and sported distinctive ‘shark mouth’ artwork to act as a visual deterrent to any enemy pilot looking for a potential target. Despite the frantic nature of the European air war around the time of D-Day, the decision to apply the turret teeth was vindicated, as they helped ‘Flak Eater’ through at least 28 combat missions and to survive the war relatively unscathed. The bomber returned to the US in June 1945, where she was later scrapped at Kingman Army Airfield in Arizona, a fate which awaited the majority of aircraft which had fought so valiantly during WWII.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
With their bombers bristling with defensive armament and many aircraft sporting striking nose artwork, it’s no wonder that the mighty bombers of the USAAF during WWII have become a fascination for many enthusiasts over the years. Rather than fearing this might single their aircraft out for special Luftwaffe attention, the artwork became a source of pride amongst crews and acted as more of a morale boost for airmen who were fighting for their lives on every sortie. Although ‘Flak Eater’s’ extremely distinctive turret art may have worried more superstitious members of her crew, the aircraft managed to safely negotiate the rest of the war.
Technical Specification & Detail
- Detailed Crew Figure(s)
- Optional Undercarriage Down
- Photo-etched Aerial(s)
- Rotatable Propellers
|Limited Edition Size||1300|