Panavia Tornado GR.4 ZG775, No.IX(B) Squadron Retirement Scheme, RAF Marham, March 2019
c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a pre-order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my pre-order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product, please note that this date can change due to changes in manufacturing and shipping schedules. These dates are updated monthly, keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders for the latest estimated arrival date. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed.
What happens if the price of my item changes while on pre-order? If the price of your pre-order item changes after you have placed your order, we will only ever charge you the lowest price between time of ordering and when the item comes into stock and is despatched to you. For example, if you pre-order an item and the price is subsequently increased, you will still be charged the original price. However, if you pre-order an item and the price is subsequently decreased, you will be charged the lower price.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged when the items are in-stock and ready to be despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my pre-order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 01843 233525 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Can I pay by PayPal for a pre-order? Yes you can.
- How many items can I pre-order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- How do delivery charges apply to pre-orders? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock and will therefore incur delivery charges where applicable. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my pre-order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my pre-order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take pre-orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our pre-orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your pre-order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a £10 gift voucher to spend on the website.
- Can I make a pre-order by post or telephone? Yes you can, but payment must be with a credit/debit card. Please call our Customer Care team on 01843 233525 or email@example.com
- Can I use a Club or discount code on pre-orders? Yes you can.
FREE UK Delivery when you spend over £30.
Please allow up to 3 working days for UK delivery following the day you placed your order.
* Club membership packages do not count towards free delivery thresholds
Europe - 3-5 days
Rest of World - 5-10 days
We also offer FREE delivery to selected international destinations
As the Royal Air Force were taking delivery of their first Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II jets in the summer of 2018, their home base at RAF Marham was also preparing to bid a sad farewell to the Panavia Tornado GR.4, an aircraft which has served with distinction for almost 40 years. As the oldest dedicated bomber squadron in the RAF, it is fitting that No.IX(B) Squadron would have the honour of being one of the last to operate the Tornado, particularly as it was also the first unit to receive the then new Tornado GR.1 back in June 1982.
As the RAF Tornado’s retirement date approached, the squadron marked their long association with the aircraft by specially presenting Tornado GR.4 ZG775 in a striking retirement scheme, which featured the silhouette of a Tornado with its wings fully swept back on its tail, overpainted with the squadron’s distinctive green bat crest. With its motto ‘Through the night we fly’, No.IX(B) Squadron has been associated with some of the RAF’s most iconic bomber aircraft, such as the Avro Lancaster, English Electric Canberra and Avro Vulcan, but after operating the Panavia Tornado for almost 37 years, this magnificent strike jet must now take its place at the head of this illustrious group. Unfortunately for aviation enthusiasts, ZG775 was one of the four Tornados which did not take part in the massed formation flypast which took place at RAF Marham on 28th February 2019.
Underlining the operational effectiveness of the RAF’s Panavia Tornado strike jets, despite the fact that the aircraft was scheduled to be withdrawn from service at the end of March 2019, the last eight aircraft only returned to RAF Marham from their final overseas deployment in early February. Flying from Akrotiri in Cyprus, the aircraft had been flying missions over the Iraqi – Syrian border, in support of Operation SHADER, the culmination of almost 28 years of continuous active service.
Arguably, on the eve of its retirement, the Tornado GR4 was more effective a strike and reconnaissance aircraft than it had ever been and whilst its retirement was met with sadness by the crews who had flown and worked on this magnificent aircraft, there was also great pride in commemorating its illustrious service achievements. As the sun finally set on the service career of the RAF Tornado, the ‘Bats’ of No.IX(B) Squadron will continue to fly on, using a different aircraft, in a different role and operating from a new home. As the Squadron Commander lowered the pennant at Marham on 1st April 2019, No. IX(B) Squadron simultaneously re-formed at RAF Lossiemouth, where they will operate the Eurofighter Typhoon FGR4 in the air defence and aggressor roles, continuing the unbroken service of this famous squadron.
The Aviation Archive
A range of high quality detailed die-cast model aircraft. Each model comes complete with an individually numbered certificate of authenticity detailing the significant history of each aircraft. View the full range
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
- Detailed Crew Figure(s)
- Fuel Tanks
- Moveable Sweeping Wings
- Optional Undercarriage Down