MGB, 1966 Marathon de la Route, Outright Winner, Hedges & Vernaeve
FREE UK Delivery when you spend over £30.
Please allow up to 3 working days for UK delivery following the day you placed your order.
* Club membership packages do not count towards free delivery thresholds
Europe - 3-5 days
Rest of World - 5-10 days
We also offer FREE delivery to selected international destinations
MGB, 1966 Marathon de la Route, Outright Winner, Andrew Hedges and Julien Vernaeve
After the Spa-Sofia-Liege rally ended in 1964 due to safety concerns about racing on public roads the event moved to the Nürburgring. The resulting non-stop 84-hour regularity rally was perfect for the robust reliable MGB; meticulously prepared by BMC's Abingdon-based Competitions Department. Two MGBs entered and both crashed badly on the same corner in the opening laps, their drivers caught out by loose-chippings. However, both were nursed to the pits where the ingenuity of Den Green's team of mechanics got them back on track. The more exotic cars gradually failed leaving the metronomic MGs first and second at 72 hours. The Poole/Enever car broke a halfshaft in hour-79 but GRX 307D continued to victory.
This high-spot in the MGB's competition career was achieved partly because of the type's benign handling and innate reliability; the winner completed 5,620 miles at an average speed of 66mph. However, careful planning from team manager Peter Browning was also important. He reasoned that in a 3½ day non-stop event, where just 2 drivers were allowed, tiredness would be a factor so instigated long 7.5-hour driving 'stints' and borrowed Moulton bicycles so drivers cycled back to their hotel, thereby getting some exercise, had a proper meal and got some quality rest. Browning's drivers were initially resistant to his plan but, after 3 days racing, it proved wise as various more powerful rivals, running shorter stints, were eliminated in accidents caused by driver exhaustion.
MG is the trademark of Nanjing Automobile (Group) Corporation, Licensed by British Motor Heritage Limited. Licensing Agent: LMI www.bmh-ltd.com
A series of die-cast 1:43 scale model automobiles spanning half a century of motoring in Britain. Each model carries a detailed, authentic livery and comes complete with a certificate detailing the history of the vehicle. View the full range
A detailed die-cast scale model for adult collector. Not Suitable for children under 14 years.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
|Limited Edition Size||1,000|
Product Questions & Answers Sign in or register to ask a question
Do you have a question about this product that other customers may be able to answer? Simply log in to the website and ask - other customers can then offer their help and answers.
Questions submitted should be aimed at other collectors, especially those that have previously purchased the model. The Q&A feature is not designed for contacting Customer Care or addressing Hornby Hobbies directly. If you do have a question for us, please do still contact us but use the Contact Us page instead.
Submissions that violate these rules (and the Guidelines) will be declined.
Please read the questions & answers guidelines before asking or answering a question.
- Once submitted, questions and answers should appear on the website within 72 hours, however, we will endeavour to approve both questions and answers as soon as possible.
- Please keep questions relevant and related to the product you’re asking it on. General questions can be asked on our Forum or sent straight to Customer Services
- Remember to keep questions and answers short and concise. Longer questions and answers are less likely to be read.
- Be sure to vote on answers you find either helpful or unhelpful. These votes are vital to getting the most helpful answers to other collectors.
- Please refrain from asking questions involving other manufacturers. For example, asking if something is better or worse than a competitor’s product is not permitted.
- Do not include personal information (email addresses or telephone numbers) in any question or answer.
- Any questions or answers that contain profanities, distasteful language or promotional material will not be approved. This also applies to Nicknames.